Get a Library Card
ØIf you live in our service area, you may get a library card free of charge, as part of your tax-supported library service.
ØYour library card allows you to:
- Borrow materials from us and from most other public libraries in Illinois.
- Use special online databases and find information you cannot get just by searching the web.
ØWho may get a Library Card at Hinckley Public Library:
- Residents of the Village of Hinckley and Squaw Grove Township support the library through their property taxes and may receive their first library card FREE.
- Owners of property in the district who live elsewhere and do not have a library, may apply for a free library card.
- People without library service such as residents of Pierce and Big Rock townships may purchase a card. The fee for the card at our library is based on your most recent tax bill. Please bring a copy with you plus a picture identification, i.e. driver’s license.
ØHow to Obtain a Library Card:
- To apply for a library card, proof of address is required. Please bring 2 forms of identifications (acceptable forms of identification include a current drivers license; an Illinois state ID, a current utility bill with address; a work/school ID with an address; or a mortgage or rental agreement), one a picture ID and one with your current street or road address.
- A parent/guardian must sign the application card for children ages 6-17.
ØHow to Replace a Lost Card:
- Please notify the library immediately if a card is lost (or if you move from Hinckley Public Library District).
- Lost cards will be replaced immediately with proof of address. The cost of the replacement card is $2.00 for the first card lost, $5 for the second card lost, and $10 thereafter for cards lost.
ØWhere Hinckley Public Library Cards Are Accepted:
- You card will be honored at the Hinckley Public Library, most public libraries in RAILS, and throughout the state of Illinois.
- Always present your library card when you wish to borrow an item. It is your personal identification and is NOT transferable. You are responsible for the safe return of all materials borrowed on your card. It is very important that you do not lend it or lose it.
ØReturn of Materials
- It is your responsibility to return materials on time. Fines need to be paid before other items may be checked out.
- Parents are responsible for their children’s materials and late fees.
- A parent’s card may be barred if a child has overdue materials and/or fees.